The department was established in 1990 and was first in the state to start interdisciplinary program. Since its inception department have been engaged in research activities in advanced materials and time to time recognized by various government bodies.
- It is recognized by UGC for SAP Program DRS II and III for the year 1993 to 2003 with a total grant of Rs.85 lakhs. Then it was promoted to CAS Phase I with a grant of Rs.86 lakhs from 2004-2009 and also successfully completed CAS Phase II program in 2014 with a grant of Rs.106 lakhs.
- GUJCOST has recognized the Department as a Centre for Excellence in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology.
- DST New Delhi has recognized the Department at FIST level II program during the year 2005-2009 sanctioning a grant of Rs. 83 lakhs.
- We have been also recognized under State government under innovative program during 2009-2011, received Rs.63 lakhs.
- Department has completed numbers of projects funded by various national agencies like UGC, DST, DAE, BRUS, BRFST, NSF-IPR, etc…Department has also completed numbers of project sponsored by international funding agencies like DST-NSF, IFCPAR, TIT Japan, BMBF-DST etc.