- The Department of Computer Science has played a significant role in nurturing computer education in the region.
- The Master of Computer Applications (MCA) programme at the Department was the second such programme introduced in the state of Gujarat.
- The PhD (Computer Science) programme started at the Department way back in 1990 and the first 7 PhD (Computer Science) degree-holders in Gujarat were fr om the Department.
- The Department started MSc (Bioinformatics) programme for the first time in the state of Gujarat in 2004 under the UGC Innovative Programmes scheme and now offers the only PhD (Bioinformatics) programme in the state.
- The Department has a long and fruitful association with the Computer Society of India (CSI) dating back to 1985-86 when the Vallabh Vidyanagar Chapter of the CSI was established.
- The Department has organized a large number of academic and research activities in association with the CSI and provided a platform for academicians, researchers and students to exchange ideas and enhance their knowledge and skills. The Department has organized 18 national seminars/conferences and 25 national manpower training programmes including MCA Teachers’ Training Programmes, DCA Teachers’ Training Programmes, UGC Refresher Courses in Computer Science, etc.
- The faculty members of the Department have won many awards/honours for their knowledge and contribution, including 3 CICC (Japan) fellowships, 1 IFIP (London) fellowship, Young Scientist Award from the Indian Science Congress, several awards for best research papers in Computer Science, etc. Students of the Department have also won many competitions and left their mark behind wh erever they went in India and abroad.