Green campus and Biodiversity initiatives at P G Department of Biosciences
The existing department of Biosciences was constructed in 2005 on a reclaimed landfill.
There was not a blade of grass. The department took an initiative to develop it into a lush green mini forest, which has been a continuous exercise for more than fifteen years now. The campus has more than 250 trees of about 90 different species, with a rich biodiversity of plants, insects, birds, reptiles and mammals
The students are sensitized naturally towards the environment by spending time with nature on a daily basis. Number of activities are organized by the department within the campus and also outside for students to connect to nature on a day to day basis. Students develop interest in diversity studies, field work, nature photography and above all spend time with nature.
Students activities towards environment sensitization
- Tree plantation and nurturing
- Field trips in and around campus
- Environment walks
- Nature photography
- Quiz and other competition, presentations etc
- Wildlife programs in collaboration with forest departments and other agencies
- Biodiversity studies and checklist preparation for plants birds insects mammals
- Nurturing and conservation measures like installation of, nests, feeders, perches, water points etc
- Nature club activities through social media
- Spending time in campus during Recess and other free time