- The department of chemistry was established in 1958 and has evolved itself into a well known and repute academic research center. Its faculty consists of 8 Professors, 2 Associate Professors and 4 Assistant Professors.
- The department has won several recognitions at national level and successfully completed four phases of UGC-SAP, one phase each of UGC COSIST and DST-FIST programs.
- The department has been identified as a nodal center for successfully runningUGCCenterof Excellencein Applied Polymers (CEAP).
- This award is the crown in its glory as it is one of the 12 such centers across the entire country identified by UGC.
- The department runs M. Sc. program in different branches of chemistry namely organic, inorganic, physical, analytical and industrial polymer. About fifty research students are on the roll presently.
- The faculty has been undertaking research projects sponsored by various national agencies such asUGC, DST, CSIR, BRNS, IUC-DAEF etc.
- The research work involves the probing various aspects of polymers including synthesis, characterization and applications, synthetic organic chemistry, surfactant and non-electrolyte chemistry, bioactive inorganic metal complexes and theoretical chemistry etc.
- The department houses various sophisticated equipment such as 13C NMR, Tensile Testing Machine,DMA, Simultaneous TGA and DTA, DSC, AFM, High Temperature GPC, Static Light Scattering, FT-IR, VSMand several equipments for polymer testing analysis.