The Virtual Tour of the Department
Brief History of the Department of Education
- The post graduate department of education was established in 1964 in the constituent education college name M.B. Patel College of Education.
- The college was catering the need of education & training of secondary school teachers. The college render services in teaching, training, research & extension.
- It was felt need of the university to start a separate full fledged department of education more concentrated on research & extension activities.
- After thorough discussion it was decided to start planned activities both academic & research. Therefore it was bifurcated from the M.B. Patel College of Education in 1988.
- The department started in the same building of M.B. Patel College of Education. The infrastructure is not much sophisticated but adequate to run a post graduate course in education.
- The building is situated near the physics department & on the road to the university. It is a two floored building. There are two laboratories in the building along with a computer room.
- The library is on the first floor having more than 15,000 good books well collected by the faculty members past & present.
- The students from other universities also visit the library for their research reference work. A seminar & assembly hall are well in use.
- The psychology lab. is well equipped of required psychological tests & some psychological instruments. The faculty members rooms are on the first floor & administrative block is on the ground floor.
- Before NCTE came in operation, department was also running part-time M.Ed. course & Diploma course of practical needs of teachers & school principals.
- After the statutory intervention of NCTE rules & regulations only face to face transaction is compulsory, therefore full time M.Ed.
- Regular programme is currently going on with intact of 35 students. The recognized teachers of the department & of affiliated colleges supervised the doctoral research work of full time & part time students.
- Department also supervised the research work leading to Ph.D. degree of the students from abroad i.e. Thailand. As good no. of them were also the past students of this institute.
- The research work in areas of educational philosophy, educational psychology, psychometry testing, educational management, metacognition, models of teaching are in progress.
- Education being a faculty that get a fruits from social sciences, it try to satisfied the needs of interdisciplinary nature.
- Generally department revised its curriculum every three to five years.
- The courses of study in M.Ed. covers six courses, in which two papers are of optional which gives somewhat specialization in the field of Evaluation & Measurement and Guidance & Counseling. The admissions are divided in three basic categories : Arts, Commerce & Science.